Saturday, February 8, 2014

Gentleman


I keep looking for some deeper meaning in this video, so far nothing definite comes up.

I guess one way to look at it is as a critique of collectivist culture. All Confucian influenced countries emphasize a form of conformity.

In this video, you have a contrast between a ridiculous dance performed in a large group (silly dance conformity?) and pranks pulled by a non-conforming individualist.

Then there is a theme of light misogyny with Psy pulling chairs from under women, undoing their biking tops, women being ejected into a pool, etc.

I'm also really attracted to his female sidekick; its that combination of a goofy dance with a resigned and melancholy facial expression. A good metaphor to my view of life.

Yeah, I really don't know what this post adds to the world, but... you read it anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment