Saturday, December 28, 2013

Ayn Rand: the Russian Girl


I'm reading a book about Ayn Rand. Born  Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum in the turbulent Russian motherland which she grew to disdain.

She came to America, birthed the libertarian creed and became an inspiration to countless douche bag college boys who are currently in charge of the House of Representative (and parts of the Senate), seemingly unaware that her atheist, individualist philosophy flies in the face of even the most Protestant interpretations of the "Judeo-Christian" tradition they see as the moral bedrock of this country.

Ah, and why not? It feels so good to be egotistical and Christian all at the same time. Am I right Paul Ryan? Or am I right?

Throughout her life -and especially in her early days of fame- Rand did her best to erase her Russian-Jewish background. But it does shine through her biography.

Much like this Russian expat, she hated small talk and preferred to have deep discussions.

But beyond modes of communications. Its clear that her maximalism, uncompromising nature and her preference for expressing her philosophy through fiction are quintessentially Russian.

But all of this above is really bullshit. What really surprised me about Ayn Rand didn't come through reading about her life but through videos of her interviews I found online.

I expected a rigid, cold ideological but what I found surprised me.

Ayn Rand was sexy.

Not bend-her-over and pull-the-hair-back sexy but still... I can definitely understand young men hanging around her.

A dumb man, if he has a certain ruggedness to him, can still inspire attraction in the opposite sex in his old age. Que John Wayne or that Scottish guy who played James Bond.

Not so much for a woman.

It is still a man's world in many ways (though I don't grasp much of it in my personal life).

XY chromosomes give you the license to be a sexy, old moron.

For a woman, once youth is melted by the acid of time, only a liveliness borne of intelligence can create a similar effect.

So let me bow my head to Ayn Rand's intrinsic, ageless sexiness and flirtatious nature.

A woman who's life and character I find infinitely more compelling that her ideas.

Alas, that last sentence sounded sexist. But what can I do?

Nobody is reading this anyway; and I'll have eons to delete this before I run for governor.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently Mike Wallace agrees with you. My favorite part was when he lights up a cigarette in the middle of the interview! Just puffing away while calling her philosophy 'Rand-ism'. I wonder when the TV studios decided that lighting up on camera was no longer cool/entertaining.

    Perhaps you found her level of confidence sexy? What isn't sexy is how she comes off during the Donahue interviews in '79/80. She wags her finger and berates the audience members, "I did not come here to be judged", and "You asked the question rudely, so I refuse to answer you". If she had such confidence in her philosophy, there would be no need to be defensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the biography of Rand that I read her story comes out pretty tragic. He philosophy did energize a lot of people but carried out to its logical conclusion in her personal life it destroyed relationships and real human warmth. She was a difficult person and it seems Objectivism was used by her for a philosophical underpinning to justify some nasty personal behavior. In the end of the book, I just ended up feeling sorry for her as she passed away as an intellectual giant in the eyes of her adherents and a lonely and often bitter old soul in her personal life.

      Anyway, thank you for your comment, Dave.

      Delete